Good morning everyone - it's Helen N here with this week's Friday Blog Project and I've made a gift box which could be used for lots of different occasions. The box has an aperture in the lid and I've added some acetate - it's also lined with matching paper.
I hope you're sitting comfortably because there are lots of photos ahead!!
Here's what you'll need to make the box:
3 pieces of A4 card - I've used dark brown
shaped dies - I've used circles and scalloped circles
Promarkers - Sandstone, Caramel, Cool Grey 3, Rose Pink, Carnation, Satin
white Card Candi
red line double sided tape
1. To make the base of the box, cut a piece of brown card to measure 20.5cm square and score each side at 3cm as shown in the photo below:
2. On the inside of the base, attach a piece of patterned paper measuring 13cm square as show below:
3. To make up the box, cut away triangles at each corner of the base as shown in the photo below:
4. Fold the triangle that is left up to meet the side of the base next to it and stick the two pieces together using red line tape - the photo below shows the first corner stuck in place:
5. And this is what the base should look like when you've finished:
6. To make the lid, cut a piece of brown card to measure 21cm square and score each side at 3cm as you did with the lid. Cut two pieces of patterned paper to measure 14cm square. On the inside of the lid, attach one of the pieces of paper using masking tape as shown in the photo below:
7. On the outside of the lid, attach the other piece of patterned paper with double sided tape - this piece will be staying in place. Next you need to cut the aperture out of the lid. I've used circle and scalloped circle dies - the circle die needs to be the size below the scalloped circle die. I've stuck it to the lid with some masking tape, positioning the die in the middle of the patterned paper as shown below:
8. Once you've die cut the circle, turn the lid over and remove the paper attached with the masking tape. Attach a piece of acetate measuring 12cm square over the circular aperture as shown in the photo below:
Sorry about the photo - you can see my daylight lamp reflected in the acetate!
9. Next stick the paper with the die cut circle back over the inside of the lid - this covers the edges of the acetate and neatens it:
10. To make the scalloped border for the top of the box, use the same circle die as you used to cute the aperture in the lid and the scalloped die which is the size above. Use masking tape to hold them in place on the brown card as shown in the photo below:
11. This is what your frame will look like once it's cut:
12. Turn the lid back over to the front and attach the frame over the circular aperture. Cut four pieces of patterned paper measuring 14.5cm by 2.5cm and attach these to the sides of the lid as shown in the photo below:
13. Assemble the lid in exactly the same way as described above for the base:
14. Here's the side view of the box:
15. To decorate my box I stamped 'Daisy Bear' in Tuxedo Black Memento ink and then coloured the image with Promarkers. I trimmed the image and matted it on to brown card. Next I stamped a sentiment in Rich Cocoa Memento ink and matted it on to brown card. I attached these to the front of the box in opposite corners. Don't forget, don't put any double sided tape on that part of the image panel which overlaps the acetate! I've also coloured four pieces of Card Candi with my Caramel Promarker and added these to finish the box.
This is what the final version looks like:
The box could be used for chocolates, tea lights, notelets and lots of other things. It's also easy to adjust the size of it - just remember to make the lid of the box slightly larger than the base so they fit together easily.
Have a lovely weekend.
Helen N x